Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 11:32:57 -0500
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: filesystem safety and SCSI disk write caching

In article <199810141501.JAA04936@mt.sri.com>,
Nate Williams  <nate@mt.sri.com> wrote:
>IMO, CAM should disable write caching by default, and allow people to
>add it back by hand if they know how.  I don't know how this would be
>done, but it's *ALWAYS* a better idea to be safe than to be sorry.

This seems like a no-brainer to me.

Does write-caching actually improve performance measurably? I would have
assumed that FreeBSD would do a better job than any drive could, and it
certainly has more resources available. Write-caching always seemed to be
one of those Windows-oriented optimizations that were better avoided with
real operating systems... unless the write-cache is something like the
128MB battery-backed cache in our Storageworks RAID box down the hall
from me.