Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2012 16:50:06 +0300
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: boot menu option to disable graphics mode

on 09/06/2012 19:17 Doug Barton said the following:
> If this were a problem we didn't already have a solution for, I'd be
> much more interested in what you're proposing.

I wonder if you were in the same mindset when you worked on service(8).
This is not to doubt service(8) usefulness, of course.  Just drawing a parallel.

> But in no particular order ...
>
> 1. This is not something most users would have to do very often, if at all.

1. Let's not generalize.
2. It is not a coincidence that I started this thread on this mailing list.

> 2. We have a variety of different login managers, several of which do
> things subtly differently, all of which would need ongoing support.

The solution as proposed of now does not require any support or modifications.
If people would be willing to implement additional support, then probably they
would be doing that because they would want to have that, and to support that.

> 3. While the changes you're proposing sound simple, the startup stuff
> has some subtle interactions that we don't like to disrupt without good
> reason.

This is too vague to comment.

> It's also worth pointing out that if all you need is a shell at boot
> time, you can still do Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get that, without having to change
> anything.

Thank you for opening my eyes.  And sorry for using sarcasm again.
No, that's not what I want.  I want X to not start.

> And if you find yourself needing to prevent the login manager
> from starting more often than not, just disable it by default and start
> it with 'service <blah> onestart', or use startx.

I do need it that often that I'd have to inconvenience each boot.
But I also want convenience those time when I need it.

> My point being that this doesn't come with zero costs, and has very
> little benefit. That usually spells "no" in my book.

I understand your point.  On the other hand, I find the proposed change to have
measurable benefit and insignificant cost.  This is "yes" in my book.

Please also note that I am not asking you to do any work.

--
Andriy Gapon