Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 1999 21:40:01 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        groudier@club-internet.fr (Gerard Roudier)
Cc:        cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NEWS: SYM53C1010 and Ultra3 support

As Gerard Roudier wrote ...

> On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Wilko Bulte wrote:
>
> > As Gerard Roudier wrote ...

> > [...]

> > > The SYM driver needs LOAD/STORE SCRIPTS instructions to be supported by
> > > the PCI/SCSI chip.
> > > As a result, 810 rev < 0x10, 825 rev < 0x10 and 815 all revisions support
> > > is dropped. LOAD/STORE have lots of advantages (I have detailed some in
> >
> > Allow me to make a remark here: where does that leave people with older
> > *mainboards with embedded NCR chips* ? Might be not too interesting
> > for Intel folks, but most likely *is* for the Alpha folks.
> >
> > Mind you, I have not checked this on my Alphas (and the one Intel
> > with embedded ncr) but I have a *bad* feeling over it as they are
> > older stuff.
> >
> > The 'lets throw away the old hardware' that reigns the Intel world is
> > less applicable to the Alpha world. A driver that cannot accomodate
> > older hardware is a step in the wrong direction here.
> >
> > Just my $ 0.02
>
> You just lost your money. There is no problem using the both drivers on

I can afford $0.02 ;-)

I was just worried about the maintenance on the ncr driver as it is
only used on old hardware. But read on..

> The right direction is, in my opinion, to have drivers that allows users
> to get IN TIME functionnalities and performances they pay for. By the way,
> this not only requires development but also maintainance.
>
> I have decided to have 2 drivers for the SYM53C8XX family and, as you
> should have known, nobody else seemed to have decided to do differently
> for _actually_ providing users features users pay for and not having to
> deal for a long time with to complex driver code. By the way, SYMBIOS did
> the same, independantly.

I'm not sure I understand completely what you are saying. I agree that
one wants to have drivers that take full advantage of the features the
hardware has to offer. So a nice new clean driver is a good thing.

But from pulling
the sym tarball over onto one of my Alpha's and reading the README (I know,
should have done that earlier, but I was too busy with other stuff.. :-( )
I understand that you make the 'ncr' driver take the older chips and have
the sym take the new ones.

Being curious I put the sym into -current on the Alpha box and got:

EB64+
Alpha 21064A Evaluation Board 274 MHz, 274MHz
8192 byte page size, 1 processor.
CPU: EV45 (21064A) major=6 minor=2
OSF PAL rev: 0x100070002012d
real memory  = 132136960 (129040K bytes)
avail memory = 122773504 (119896K bytes)
Preloaded elf kernel "kernel" at 0xfffffc00005e6000.
pci0: <PCI bus> on pcib0
sym0: <810a> irq 7 at device 5.0 on pci0
sym0: No NVRAM, ID 7, Fast-10, parity checking
CACHE TEST FAILED: script execution failed.
start=47c625c8, pc=47c625d4, end=47c625e8
sym0: CACHE INCORRECTLY CONFIGURED.
device_probe_and_attach: sym0 attach returned 6
isp0: <Qlogic ISP 1020/1040 PCI SCSI Adapter> irq 1 at device 7.0 on pci0
isp0: interrupting at APECS irq 1

So, I do have an ncr810a chip after all embedded on this Alpha mainboard.
My other PCI Alpha is on loan to another FreeBSD developer
(of sigset fame ;-) so I can't check that one.

After spending some time digging in my equipment stock I found a
original NCR-built PCI card. Installing that gives me:

sym1: <810a> irq 1 at device 7.0 on pci0
sym1: No NVRAM, ID 7, Fast-10, parity checking
CACHE TEST FAILED: script execution failed.
start=47c625c8, pc=47c625d4, end=47c625e8
sym1: CACHE INCORRECTLY CONFIGURED.
device_probe_and_attach: sym1 attach returned 6

In both cases there are no devices connect to the SCSI buses that the
sym driver controls.

Cheers,

Wilko