Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 1995 11:28:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Stephen F. Combs" <combssf@salem.ge.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sysinstall Considered Harmful (reply)

I just used 2.1.0 standalone sysinstall to add a disk to my system last night!
Due to it's wanting to include sd0 in the partition table whether I chose it
or not, I just used the 'create partition' portion to generate a (bogus)
disklabel entry.  I then labeled the disk (forcing a std FDISK partition
entry) and then edited the partition table with 'disklabel'.  This worked
just fine (no clobber of sd0, no nuthin').  Still not the greatest, 'cuz
you've got to calculate the offsets, sizes etc...... but it DID work.
As an additional input, this was with a system upgraded to 2.1.0 via
the 'make world', 'build kernel', 'make world' paradigm..... (yes,
I had to manually build the 2.1.0 standalone sysinstall)........
In the label disk portion, it wanted to include the partitions already
on sd0 (with no mount points assigned).  This was why I chose to just
allocate the entire disk to FBSD and manually create individual partitions.

Hdwre Info:

	Blue Lightning '486DX4 @ 75MHz
	24MB Ram
	ATI VGA Extra (i think that's the name)
	1GB Seagate 3.5" SCSI-2
	1GB Seagate 5.25" SCSI-1 (the new disk) (new to me, OLD disk
					being re-applied for add'nl storage)
	Archive 150MB QIC Tape
	Sun/Sony CD-ROM
	Adaptek 1542CF SCSI Controller