Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 14:09:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC 1323 default settings (was Re: progress report on connection problems)

On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Isn't this considered a bugfix, not an "upgrade"?

Sorry if I was a bit harsh, but my blood boils whenever I think of these
people.  I would call it a bugfix, but the coincidence here is that it is
fixed in the newer release (supposedly), so their opinion is "Hey, go buy
the new release; you get more features *and* bugfixes"...  Go to their
page sometime and look at release notes; they are funny.  In
9.2.something, you can crash an annex by fingering it....  Nice.

> In any case, it seems that it's not a very good idea to calculate
> the price of Annex hardware without including the cost of a "software
> upgrade contract" in the total when comparing them to their competition.

The simple thing to do is just to not buy their product.  It is merely
"OK" at best, and a nightmare on a bad day.  One klunky 486 and 72 ports
seems to be a bit of a stretch.

Charles