Date:      Sat, 6 May 2006 15:48:00 +0100
From:      Ceri Davies <ceri@FreeBSD.org>
To:        ExportControls <exportcontrols@UK.EY.COM>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
Subject:   Re: DCSSI Authorisation for Free BSD Software

--1bhFRg6vL9BT9osV

Bethan,

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 03:44:35PM -0400, Bill Moran wrote:
> ExportControls <exportcontrols@UK.EY.COM> wrote:

> > Additionally, because FreeBSD contains what is considered "strong=20
> > cryptography", French authorities (the "DCSSI") requires that an=20
> > authorisation is obtained for the item if it is to be imported to,=20
> > supplied in, used in, or exported from France.=20

FreeBSD is partly developed in France, if that makes any difference.

> > It is Reuters policy to be complaint with all relevant regulations in t=
he=20
> > countries they operate, and as Reuters will potentially be doing all of=
=20
> > the activities mentioned above it is essential that they obtain the=20
> > relevant authorisation from the DCSSI prior to importing to, supplying =
in,=20
> > using in, or exporting FreeBSD from France. Consequently, Reuters canno=
t=20
> > export FreeBSD from its server in the US to its French offices until sa=
id=20
> > authorisation has been obtained.
> >=20
> > Therefore, we would appreciate if you could investigate whether such an=
=20
> > authorisation has been obtained for FreeBSD v4.1, alternatively refer u=
s=20
> > to a legal contact that may be able to answer our query.

Without wishing to offend him, Bill is just a user of FreeBSD, the same
as Reuters.  He is unlikely to wish to do that job for you.

Try the FreeBSD Foundation, contacted via
http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/contact.shtml.  They are the closest
thing we have to legal representation.

The answer to your question, however, is extremely likely to be "no".
There is no money for that.

Ceri
--=20
                                                  -- Moliere