Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 16:26:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Project FreeBSD 98

Hello all,

This is the replacement of the former thread Promoting FreeBSD - -the
users piece of the action.  That title was long and I didn't think
properly reflected our goals.  Of course the new one may not be much
better, but at least it's shorter.  Someone please think of a better
one.

This is a democracy folks, so please feel free to make suggestions,
changes or anything that you feel will get this effort up to speed as
soon as possible.

Viewing the posts regarding this project, there appears to be a fairly
general feel amoung us for our goals and objectives.  A mission
statement and plan to reach our objectives should be the next priority
 on our agenda. Once that is documented and aggreed upon, we can begin
 matching resources to tasks and kick off the project.  So, there is
 much to be completed and the great minds out there in userland are
 inventited to think hard about these things so we can come together as
 a team and begin our march to victory.

I have given some thought to an organizational structure paterned
somewhat on that used by the development team.  The idea is that an
organizational structure will provide focus for the various activities,
eliminate duplication of effort, maximize resource utilization, and
produce the desired impact on the future of FreeBSD given the
resources available to us.  This is subject to change as better ideas
surface, but for now looks as follows:

I have broken the project down into five areas of activity.  The scope
of each area is left as a work in progress.  Each area should be headed
up by a coordinator that does not really assign tasks within the area,
but coordinates the efforts of the people working within the area.  For
example two different people simultaniously write a press release to the
some publication.  We want each individual within each group to be free
to utilize their talents in ways they feel most comfortable, but we must
eleminate duplication of efforts or doing things half cocked where we
look like fools.  Quality control and professionalism is of prime
importance.

The coordinators would form a commitee to decide on direction,
objectives, settle differences of opinion, and whatever else may arise
as we go along.  Probably no one individual has power over the group as
a whole.

The five groups shake out like so:

Documentation:

Public Relations:

	Product positioning
	Advertising

Distribution ( Customer Fullfillment )

Publications:

	Magazine Articles, Books, etc.

Technical Support:

A sales function should be included as a functional area, but there are
still outstanding issues reqarding WC CDROM that are still unaccounted
for.

This is a first draft of our structure and all are invited to work on
perfecting it.  Volunteers are needed to get names in the various slots,
remember that this is a democracy.

Frank