Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 2003 19:38:35 -1000 (HST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
To:        Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@pcnet1.pcnet.com>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, <current@FreeBSD.ORG>, <mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>, Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Dell Inspiron 8200 notebook

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Lars Eggert wrote:

> Vincent Poy wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Lars Eggert wrote:
> >
> > >My Dell resumes from standby when I hit the power button briefly, i.e.
> > >less than the 4 seconds or so that force a power off.
> >

> > 	Hmmm, not mines.  When I hit the power button for like 1-3
> > seconds, I can see the lights change but the network portion atleast still
> > isn't operating.
>
> The LEDs change on mine too, same as they do when I resume in Windows
> XP. (The screen stays off, this is the bug.)

	Yeah, you're right.  The blindly part does work except my screen
never turns off.  The last image before suspend is what stays there before
the reboot.

> Not sure what you mean by "the network portion". Some network services
> don't react kindly to being suspended/resumed, but that's a different
> problem that can be worked around by stopping them before suspend, and
> restarting them on resume. I had some scripts that did this for 4.X,
> will port them to -current once I can resume... :-)

	Yeah, but the entire purpose of me wanting the machine to not
suspend but rather the screen going off is because I want the machine to
run as a server and so I can put it in a dedicated space rather than the
floor where it is now as my other Inspiron 8200 is sitting on the desk
which is the actual Windows workstation.

> >  I don't even know if the problem is FreeBSD related
> > since on the DellTalk Forums at dell.com, people are having issues with
> > suspend/resume even in WindowsXP where the machine will suspend but it
> > will not wake up except in WindowsXP, the screen does go off but the
> > screen will not go back on even when it resumes.
>
> FWIW, mine suspends and resumes perfectly in Windows XP. Be sure to run
> the latest Dell BIOS and device firmwares.

	I am using the latest device drivers and everything.  I know some
people had issues with the Intel Application Accelerator but that isn't
the case with mines.  Something is not turning the screen back on after it
resumes.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin