Date:      Fri, 27 Nov 1998 21:52:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        brett@lariat.org, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux to be deployed in Mexican schools; Where was FreeBSD?

> As is my usual gripe in advocacy, what we really need around here
> aren't a bunch of firemen who arrive at the scene of the fire well
> after it has already consumed the building and stand around saying
> meaningful things like "This was a fire!  It appears to have burned
> down the building!  Fires are bad, someone should do something."
>
> Such firemen are obviously of no use at all and should probably go
> into less challenging professions like chicken inspection or lavatory
> maintenance.  What we need are firemen who actually arrive in time to
> have a meaningful affect on fires *as they are happening* or can turn
> practical expertise towards preventing fires in the first place. :-)

Actually, the fire will be burning an awful long time; so long as
Linux is in Mexican schools, there is a need for a FreeBSD fire
brigade on the school grounds, hoses at ready.

For a FreeBSD fireman to be effective, there is an aching need for
firefighting equipment; FreeBSD has little.

One thing that would go a long way towards this is to get a most
recent RedHat Linux system installed, and figure out what software
you need to write to "upgrade" it to FreeBSD without reinstalling
everything.

Here are some starting points:

o	FreeBSD is still third-party layered software unfriendly
	(some would call it antagonistic).  There is no real
	method in FreeBSD for installing software that is supposed
	to start at system startup and shutdown gracefully at
	system shutdown.

	Fix: Change the FreeBSD "init" process.  This is political
	suicide, but technological necessity.

o	FreeBSD EXT2FS support is less robust than it should be.

	Fix: Create a stress-test framework in which progress
	toward repairing EXT2FS can be made, and repair it.

o	FreeBSD kernels can not be booted with Linux boot code.

	Fix: Add support for booting Linux kernels to the FreeBSD
	multistage boot code, such that the Linux boot blocks can
	be replaced with FreeBSD boot blocks without losing Linux
	functionality.  This means adding features to the FreeBSD
	boot blocks.  Alternately, and more restrictive to future
	work, make FreeBSD capable of being booted using Linux
	boot blocks.

o	FreeBSD Linux emulation leaves something to be desired
	(something called "Linux emulation").  This is most
	apparent in the FreeBSD inability to run some kernel
	threaded applications, like Oracle 8 for Linux.

	Fix: Get a copy of Oracle 8  for Linux, install it on
	FreeBSD (in violation of the license) and Make It Work(tm).

o	FreeBSD can not install RPM packages.

	Fix: Port the RPM code, either from RedHat (I don't think
	this is actually available) or from one of the Linux camps
	that have reverse engineered the code (S.U.S.E. would be
	a good starting point, since they work heavily on RedHat
	Linux emulation themselves).

o	FreeBSD doesn't support the Linux libvga.

	Fix: Someone port the frigging thing, already.

Oh, by the way, one could substitute "Solaris" for "Linux" in the
above (and SVR4 UFS and BFS for EXT2FS, and SVR4 PKG for RPM...)
and have a hell of a lot larger software base than the Linux
software base.

It's not a matter of figuring out what to do; that's easy.  It's
a matter of will, and it's a matter of prying things like the
BSD init process out of the cold, dead hands of the powers that be.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.