Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 16:01:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@technokratis.com>
To:        Thomas Moestl <tmoestl@gmx.net>, cuk@cuk.nu, rizzo@aciri.org
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   PATCH REVIEW Re: bug in bridging/dummynet code - PR kern/19551

  Hello Thomas, Marko, others,

  	Thomas, I have looked at and reviewed your patch, and have added one
  hunk to bridge.c, please take a look at the "almost ready for commit"
  version here:

  http://people.FreeBSD.org/~bmilekic/dumbridge.diff

  	Basically, I don't like the fact that we have to copy the ethernet
  header back into the mbuf for dummynet in bdg_forward(), especially since
  we just removed it before calling bdg_forward(). But, this is no fault of
  yours and since dummynet does expect it, I agree with the present fix.

  	I'd like to ask net@ and Luigi to also review this before I commit
  it, and I'd like to ask Marko Cuk (and others?) to test it and confirm
  once again that it indeed fixes their problems, just so I can close all
  the PRs along with it.

  	Thanks, Thomas!

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Thomas Moestl wrote:

> Well, the first attempt I sent last week did apparently fix the panics, but
> there was another logical error, this time in bridge.c: dummynet expects
> an ehternet header at the start of the mbuf, but the bridging code did
> not place it there. I wrote a second patch a week ago, and sent it to
> Marko Cuk, who had asked for it. Looking into freebsd-net, I see that
> Lachlan O'Dea has come to the same conclusion.
>
> Marko Cuk has apparently not tested the patch yet, but term@rmci.net has
> filed a bug report (kern/23010) today about very much the same thing. He
> has reported success with my patch, so I thought it might be time to
> try to get it in, so I have attached it ;-)
>
> This should close the PRs kern/21534, kern/23010 and (probably only partly)
> kern/19551. Marko Cuk's problem seems to be exactly the same to me:
> he also uses pipe firewall rules, and the panics happened when he activated
> the firewalling for bridging. He also reported partial success (no more
> panics) with my first patch.
>
> So, to come to a conclusion: could you please review (and perhaps commit) the
> patch or refer me to right person to bug about it?
>
> Thanks for your time,
> 	- Thomas

  Regards,
  Bosko Milekic