Date:      Sun, 4 Oct 1998 02:17:06 -0400
From:      Chris Johnson <cjohnson@palomine.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, empey@plato2.ml.org
Subject:   Re: DNS problem

> I'm hoping someone can help sort out a DNS problem I'm having.  I'm trying
> to set my machine up as the primary DNS for integral.on.ca, but can't seem
> to get it working.
>
> Here is my named.biit file:
>
> cache           .                       root.cache
> primary         0.0.127.in-addr.arpa    pz/127.0.0
> primary         integral.on.ca          pz/integral.on.ca
>
> and the zone file for integral.on.ca:
>
> @       IN      SOA     integral.on.ca root.integral.on.ca (
>                 199810031       ; Serial
>                 28800   ; Refresh
>                 7200    ; Retry
>                 604800  ; Expire
>                 86400)  ; Minimum TTL
>         NS      plato2.ml.org.
>         MX      10 integral.on.ca.
>
> integral.on.ca  A       24.112.14.35
> www             CNAME   integral.on.ca.
> ftp             CNAME   integral.on.ca.
>
> Does anyone see something I've missed?

You didn't say what wasn't working, but you're missing a period after
integral.on.ca in the SOA (twice) and in the A record.

Also (and maybe you already know this), unless plato2.ml.org is registered as a
name server for integral.on.ca (and it doesn't appear to be), it can be as
authoritative as it wants, but nobody will ever know to ask it any questions
for it to be authoritative about.

Is plato2.ml.org one of those dynamic DNS things? If so, I don't think you'll
be able to register it as a name server at all.

Chris