Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 1997 11:40:33 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de
To:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD current users)
Subject:   What's happened to nfsd and mountd?

For the past 10 days or so, I haven't been able to build functional
nfsd and mountd: they die with messages like these:

Jan  8 11:34:38 freebie mountd[1215]: Can't register mount
Jan  8 11:35:16 freebie nfsd:[1261]: can't register with udp portmap

ktraces show that in each case a sendto fails:

   577 mountd   CALL  sendto(0x5,0x465f0,0x38,0,0x46408,0x10)
   577 mountd   RET   sendto -1 errno 47 Address family not supported by protocol family
   577 mountd   CALL  write(0x2,0xefbfcb98,0x67)
   577 mountd   GIO   fd 2 wrote 103 bytes
       "Cannot register service: RPC: Unable to send; errno = Address family not supported by protocol family

       "
(don't ask me where stderr goes--I didn't see this message anywhere
when I ran mountd).

This is apparently not a kernel problem: I can start the versions I
compiled a month ago and which I still have on my laptop, and they run
fine.  It's rather puzzling, though, because the source files haven't
changed in that time.  I can only assume a library problem somewhere,
but I don't have the time to follow it up.

Greg