Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 20:52:39 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Greg Cook <freebsd@vnews.net>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD-Questions'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 9 quick questions :) Somewhat Long

Greg Cook writes:

> Packages:
> 1. Is there any way to query which packages are loaded, i.e. equiv. to
> rpm -qa under Redhat RPM Manager.

As others have pointed out, "ls /var/db/pkg" produces exactly the
minimal data I'm looking for.

> 3. Upgrading a package and reasonable OS package update intervals.

/usr/ports/sysutils/{pib,pkg_version} may address these issues for you.
I particularly like pib for its ability to scan thru
/usr/ports/distfiles and weed out the stale images.

You have to decide for yourself what reasonable update intervals are.
FreeBSD's ports don't upgrade very nicely. One really needs to
pkg_delete the old one before installing the new one. When dependancies
on other ports is involved, it can get pretty involved removing the other
ports too. For instance: XFree86.

> User Administration:
> 6. Changing the shell to bash (it is installed) from csh. Have tried
> /etc/paswd and /etc/master.passwd, no avail.

That's because neither of those are used in normal use. The real meat
is in /etc/{spwd.db,pwd.db}. vipw(1) will edit /etc/master.passwd then
generate the .db files which libc uses for password queries.

Using vipw to change one's shell is like driving a Hummer to the
grocery store. Use chsh(1), which lets mere users select their shell.