Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 14:05:20 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a two-level port system?  (fwd)

 > > Moving these files to ftp requires good automatic means to keep
 > > ftp servers updated. However as of today there are no such means
 > > available.
 > >
 > > CVSup is definitely easiest way to keep well defined collection
 > > of files up to date.
 >
 > Folks, how about _admitting_ finally that our ports collection is a
 > database? We wouldn't need anything else than standard system tools to
 > maintain a ports.db file containing all that we want as DB records.

Some thoughts:

1) Cvsupping the while database on every change or writing YAT (Yet
Another Tool) to do this properly
2) Keeping things like Makefiles, descriptions, patches in a database
3) making it a binary file instead of Human Readable ASCII

IMHO we'd end with something as silly as an OO database.

Nick