Date:      Sun, 5 Nov 2000 23:37:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Muhammad=20Zarizi?= <zarizibsd@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   gateway related problem

hi, i have some gateway related problems in setting up
the FreeBSD 4.1-R server. But first i want to inform
that my network topology are shown as below:

clients --> my server (192.168.1.1[internal] &
202.185.45.79 [external])as gateway to ---> ISP
gateway (202.185.98.14) ----> internet

i'm using two network cards (rl0-internal &
rl1-external) for the server and the network seems to
be working. my clients also could access the internet
but not my server. i've tried to ping outside the
internet and it's still shown the connection was not
succeed. i've also add some route to the ISP gateway
.. and using netstat -rn to monitor the route
address...

if my server is configured as a gateway, why it cannot
access the internet? , in fact the clients will still
be online if i were to shutdown the server
(192.168.1.1)... can some one please explain this to
me?

one more, i could not telnet the server when i want to
do some remote administrating .... i've checked and
edited the hosts.allow and /etc/hosts but still could
telnet it ... can someone show me the right arguments?