Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 1996 16:23:59 -0700
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        ejs@bfd.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: printcap question

    Eric> Is there a nicer way to do this?  Either by using a printcap
    Eric> field that stuffs the data into another queue rather than
    Eric> forcing the filter to do it, or by letting me use filters
    Eric> and remote printers in the same definition.

The nicest way I've found to achieve this is to dump the BSD LPD that
accompanies FreeBSD.  It works well in far too few situations, and
you've got a situation for which its feature deficit has no good
resolution.

I recommend PLP or LPRng---see the FreeBSD handbook's ``Printing''
section for details on where to get each.  They both allow you to
specify how and where jobs get filtered before the eventually reach a
printer.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory, Boulder Colorado USA

Instead of putting a quarter under a kid's pillow, how about a pinecone?  That
way, he learns that "wishing" isn't going to save out national forests.
	-- Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handey