Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 11:31:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        "Bruce M. Walker" <bmw@borderware.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sophos and Virus return mail

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Bruce M. Walker wrote:

> Jim Durham wrote:
> >
> > I thought of rewriting the script to use the "From: " address
> > to reply. I think that would usually work, but I'm not sure
> > that address always appears either.
>
> Unhappily not:
>
>   From: Hahaha <hahaha@sexyfun.net>
>
> You can see the IP of the host that sent it to you in the Received:
> headers if you inspect them, but that will be simply the Windows
> PC that itself has been infected.  Snowhite contains a complete
> SMTP send-only implementation and it delivers to its targets directly.
>
> I'm afraid you're stuck with these things.
>
> (This is one case where blocking of port 25 by ISPs is a good thing.)
>
> -bmw

Yes, SnowWhite is probably a bad example, as, like you say, it
doesn't generate a replyable "From:" address. I didn't ask
my question correctly. Some Viruses generate no envelope
"from" but *do* generate a "From: ". I was thinking about
the ramifications of changing the script to use the "From: "
if the envelope is not there.

SO...

if (from)... reply to from

else if (From: ) reply to From:

else reply to MAILER-DAEMON  (sigh...)

Another thing that might be done is ... and I've done this by hand
a couple times, which gets old... dig out the "ppp-4027dialup@bigisp.net"
and the time from the headers and generate a reply to:
"abuse@bigisp.net". Giving the time of the abuse and the dialup.

Maybe if we started using

Sadly, I don't think ISPs pay much attention to "abuse" e-mail, though.
(Another sigh). I've never gotten a response to an abuse report.

This "Virus in your mail to:" stuff gets old..

Yes, I knew what you meant about port 25.. no need to explain.
Brains are much faster than fingers..

Jim Durham