Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 1995 00:19:45 -0500
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/conf Makefile.i386

>Richard, is this an 'acceptable' solution?  (I know it's not the best
>solution, but we don't have that yet)

Actually, I can live with either solution as a temporary measure.

The recognition that it is "stopgap" rather than "correct" is the important
feature to me. What I don't want to see is the propogation of a wrong
philosophy.

My whole point is that none of the code is written for a single static
environment. We need to make sure that we are moving in the direction of
environment based references.

When you want to make a "tool" to use now, the execution environment is the
HOST system. When you make that same tool to be included in a release, the
execution environment is that of the TARGET. However, the source code for
that tool is exactly the same. Only the libraries and, by extension, the
include files that define their interface are changed. "Make"ing in these
different environments will in general produce different results -- results
that should end up in different places.

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net