Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 18:33:48 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Matt Behrens <mbehrens@iserv.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Preserving a program across make world

On Wed, Aug 05, 1998 at 09:35:25AM -0400, Matt Behrens wrote:
> Sorry if this has been asked before, but I searched for quite some time
> and didn't find anything.
>
> How can we preserve a program across make worlds in -stable?  For
> example, I'm using a newer ppp and don't want it overwritten.  I had
> also at one point wanted to use GNU ls instead of BSD for some
> compatibility with a ill-behaved FTP client.
>
> Is there a way?

Only by modifying the source tree.

In -current, you can do it using SUBDIR_CHANGE - it works like this (from
bsd.subdir.mk):

# SUBDIR_CHANGE A directory-tree that contains overrides for
#               corresponding build subdirs.
#		Each override is a file containing one subdirname per line:
#                  'subdirlist'  is a pure override
#		   'subdirdrop'  drops directories from the build
#		   'subdiradd'   adds directories to the build

I have not tested this through 'make buildworld', only by doing "normal
builds".  It is likely some changes to src/Makefile will be needed to be
able to control a 'buildworld' - patches are welcome.

Eivind.