Date:      Tue, 11 Sep 2012 07:37:32 +1000
From:      John Marshall <john.marshall@riverwillow.com.au>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   www/libxul 10 upgrade confusion

--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2

I've just updated my ports tree and was about to rebuild updated
ports...

www/libxul has just been updated from 1.9.2.28 to 10.0.7.  There is an
entry in UPDATING explaining that the old version has been moved to
www/libxul19 for those who want to continue to use it.  That's fine.

I launched portmaster to kick off the build of updated ports and was
presented with an options config screen for www/libxul.  All still good.
I was then preseneted with an options config screen for www/libxul19.
Huh?!

It turns out that ports which were dependent upon www/libxul have been
updated to depend upon www/libxul19 which, obviously, conflicts with
www/libxul.  All this appears to have been done in the one commit
(r304053) but doesn't make sense to me.  It looks like if I want to use
any ports which depend upon libxul, then I need to migrate to
www/libxul19 and rebuild dependent ports.

So, if the new www/libxul is unsuitable for use in libxul-dependent
ports, why was the main port upgraded and the new version not introduced
as www/libxul10 or something?  I must be missing something fundamental
but I just can't see the point of this churn/confusion if dependent
ports are being pointed at the migrated old port www/libxul19.

Thanks to the folks who maintain these complex ports.  I'm guessing
there are sound reasons for all of this which just haven't been
communicated, or I need more caffeine.

/me waits to be educated.

--=20
John Marshall