Date:      31 May 1999 15:17:51 +0300
From:      Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will@iki.fi>
To:        joelh@gnu.org (Joel Ray Holveck)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FS tuning (Was: File system gets too fragmented ???)

joelh@gnu.org (Joel Ray Holveck) writes:

> As we all know, tunefs -o space will hurt write performance.  Will it
> hurt read performance?  If I don't care about install-time speed, but
> do care about run-time speed and free space, should I populate my
> filesystems at install time with space tuning?

-o space should have very little effect install-time.

The space vs. time optimization parameter only has any effect when
files are extended by small amounts (the fragment at the end is
reallocated).  This seldom happens for most files.  Log files and
interactively edited files are probably (just guessing) most likely to
make use of fragment reallocations.