Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:42:51 +0200
From:      Panagiotis Christias <christias@gmail.com>
To:        Gerard Samuel <fbsd-questions@trini0.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Wildcard syntax in newsyslog.conf

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:03:47 -0500, Gerard Samuel
<fbsd-questions@trini0.org> wrote:
> Is it possible to use wildcards in newsyslog.conf?
> For example, my current apache setup, I have a few virtual hosts
> logging into their own file.
> And instead of specifying each file in newsyslog.conf, Im trying ->
> /var/log/httpd-*.log    root:wheel      640  1     *    @T00  B
> /var/run/httpd.run
>
> It doesn't seem to work.  So Im double checking with the list to
> see if what Im trying to do is possible (but Im going about it the wrong
> way).

It should work. I have a similar entry in my newsyslog.conf:

/var/log/apache/*-access_log            664  1     *    @01T00 G
/var/run/httpd.pid
/var/log/apache/*-error_log             664  1     *    @01T00 G
/var/run/httpd.pid

Try running newsyslog manually using the "-v" and "-n" options.

Panagiotis