Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 1996 04:05:43 -0400
From:      Kurt Schafer <kurt@cyberbeach.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange problem (2.1.5) networking:continued

I don't know if this is relevant at all, but running TCPBLAST on the
machines (I'm the victim of the weird network behavior BTW) yields these
results.

tcpblast <destination> 17       comes back in about 5 msec
tcpblast <destination> 18       comes back in 150+ msec
tcpblast <destination> 19       HALTS. never returns.

This from the 2 machines running 2.1.5, on the machine running 2.1, there is
a big jump in the msec times as noted above, but connectivity doesn't halt.
I did a 1024 block and it went through.

Luckilly, I'm not missing any functionality that I can think of moving from
2.1.5 back down to 2.1. But this is definately weird.

WinNT servers on the same network are performing the same BTW. Virtual WWW
sites halt at the 'Host contacted, waiting for reply' stage.

I'm going to wipe one of the 2.1.5 machines and redo a 2.1 installation from
scratch. Should the system work, I will report to the list. Could be an
interesting case study in the works here.

-Kurt