Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 18:35:20 -0800
From:      maycat@pacbell.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3C589D PCMCIA on a VAIO PCG-818

I recently installed FreeBSD 4.1.1 (I'm new to BSD) on my Sony VAIO
PCG-818 laptop and have been unsuccessful in getting my NIC, a 3com
3C598D, to work.  The power light on the card comes on, but I get no
link light on my hub.  ifconfig reports:

ep0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	ether 00:00:00:00:00:00
	media: 10base2/BNC
	supported media: 10base2/BNC 10baseT/UTP 10base5/AUI

The card works fine when I boot to Win98.

boot message:

ep0 at port 0x300 irq 11 on isa0
ep0: eeprom failed to come ready.
ep0: eeprom failed to come ready.
ep0: eeprom failed to come ready.
ep0: eeprom failed to come ready.
ep0: eeprom failed to come ready.
ep0: Ethernet address 00:00:00:00:00:00
pccard: card inserted, slot 1

I've tried enabling and disabling PnP in my BIOS, changing the IRQ, and
I still get the same lack of results.  Am I using the correct driver?
Do I need to edit a configuration elsewhere?

Thanks,
	DC