Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 01:55:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Alex Dyas <alexdyas@hotmail.com>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD / Firewall / 0 window size problem

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Alex Dyas wrote:

> Attached are two more tcpdumps, client.txt being the client side of a
> problematic session, server.txt being the server side of the same session.
> Both machines in this case are BSD.  The thing to note in these dumps is
> what you suggested, ie the 0 sized window can only be seen on the client
> side, NOT on the server side.  So as you say, the problem seems to be being
> introduced by the GNAT box.

WHOO!  COOKIE FOR SILBY!

> I've been suspecting the GNAT box all along.  BSD->Any_other_machine
> connections have no problem. Unfortunately I don't admin it, and don't (yet)
> know enough about it to debug such a thing. The guy who does points out that
> we have never seen the problem in anything other than BSD clients.
>
> A guess, but could it be that other clients (Windows/Linux etc) are in some
> way more tolerant of such problems?  Not knowing very much at all about NAT,
> what would I look for in debugging such a problem on the GNAT box, as I can
> probably get a look at it?
>
> Thanks again for the help.  I'm learning a lot here.
>
> Alex..

Yes, linux would actually ignore that 0 window update.  I recently talked
over linux's algorithm for accepting window updates and was thinking of
importing it for other reasons.  This looks like just one more reason that
I should actually post a patch which does so.

There's clearly something wrong with the nat system, but I have this
suspicion that it'll be faster to patch all the FreeBSD systems with the
patch (which I'll be lazy about and take a while to post) than to wait for
a fix for the nat software to be released. :)

Mike "Silby" Silbersack