Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 14:18:01 +0200
From:      Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>
To:        'Nick Hibma' <nick.hibma@jrc.it>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: a two-level port system?  (fwd)

	[ML]  Well, I'll try to make a proof of concept tonight with a
flatfile database not unlike the normal diff over several files.  The
result will be an ascii file which you could diff against and transfer
only the diffs.

	Basically the format will be
	graphics
	graphics/gimp
	graphics/gimp/Makefile
	<blank><line 1 of makefile>
	<you get the idea>

	It will be trivial to expand it into directories in order to
build ports, and compact directories into the file once the port has
been added/updated.

	Advantages:
	1) the file behaves like any other source file as far as CVS and
CVSup is concerned: one stores and transfers diffs only
	2) shar does it (and this will not be much different)
	3) well, it is ascii :)

	/Marino