Date:      01 Jul 2000 18:11:02 -0700
From:      Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   X-display from laptop to desk

Using 4.0 snap 06/24

I have this installed on a Toshiba 4005CDS.  I have some of the X
libraries etc but do not have X set up.

Currently I'm accessing the FreeBSD install mostly from a desk top pc
running RedHat Linux 6.2.

I'm able to ssh to the laptop and run apps on the desktop unit in X
like this:

$ ssh reader@laptop <password> <RET>

Then I have user readers console on the remote (laptop).  From there I
can say `emacs . &' and an emacs running in reader@laptop/$HOME is
displayed on my desk unit in X mode.  Still leaving access to the
remote terminal.

OK fine... this is all as it should be.  I can run `vim', `emacs',
`gvim' etc.  Anything that can be made to run in X will start and
display on the local(desktop) X screen.  But only so long as I stay in
a user account on the remote.

If I su to root on the remote, I can no longer run anthing that needs
X.  For example:

On the remote:  `su root' <password> <RET>

# emacs FILE

   X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication at Sat Jul 1
   18:06:31 2000.  a

   Rejected connection at Sat Jul 1 18:06:31 2000: X11
   connection from satellite.local.lan port 1126

   Error: Couldn't find per display information
   root@satellite /root

At first I thought it was something to do with ssh and ssh-agent so
set an /root/.ssh/authorized_keys in the remote /root
directory... didn't help.

Looking at the error I think now it is refering only to X
authorization.  Which I know almost nothing about.

Does anyone recognize this error and know what it is about?