Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 22:35:32 -0500
From:      Gary Schrock <gary@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   build times for 3.x vs 4.x

Ok, I'm kinda curious if anyone else has noticed this.  I realize there are
some things that have been added, but it seems like a pretty significant jump.

The system:
P3-600E, 384M, Adaptec 3950U2 with a seagate baracuda and cheetah
drive.  (/usr/src is on the baracuda).

With 3.x-stable, our make buildworld time was about 35 minutes.  We just
updated that to 4.x-stable using the cd upgrade method in sysinstall, and
the build time has jumped to 55 minutes.  Now, has that much really been
added to the build process? Or is something odd going on?

I'll also note, the times for make, make -j 2, and make -j 4 all are about
3 minutes apart, so there's no benefit for trying those.

So basically, is this jump normal? Or is it unusual?