Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2001 08:28:18 +0200
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Subject:   Re: Lockdown of FreeBSD machine directly on Net

Hi Anthony!

On  2 Nov 01 at 7:03 you wrote:

> Right now I have only ssdh, telnetd, sendmail, and inetd running, with ftp
> available (anonymous is disabled).  I am planning to install Apache so that I
> can prototype my Web site locally.

You will get a zillion replies to that one.

If I were you, I'd first disable telnetd - especially if sshd is
already running - by commenting out the relevant line in
/etc/inetd.conf and doing 'killall -HUP inetd'.

If you're not interested in anonymous ftp, you might also consider
removing ftpd and using scp instead to transfer files to/from your
box. This should again be easy, since you already have sshd
running.

A good idea is to run 'sockstat' and see what ports are open.
There might be something running (such as portmapper) that you are
not even aware of and that you really don't need. Anything you
don't need should be turned off ;-)
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* I`m not as think as you drunk I am...