Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:37:52 -0400
From:      Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        FreeBSD Ports List <ports@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Gnome Team <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   fork bombs registering packages using GNOMENG

I've noticed a distressing trend in ports which use the GNOMENG
configuration interface. If you set USE_GNOME on the make command line,
the port is likely to fork makes until it can't fork anymore - each one
forks a child, which forks a child, which ... up to thousands of them.

For example, irc/xchat: "make USE_GNOME=gtk12 package" will fork bomb
during the registering package phase of the post-installation code.

There's something seriously wrong here. I'm using an absolutely
up-to-date ports tree (updated every 2 hours). Does anybody have a clue
as to how this could be happening?

Personally, I don't think the GNOMENG code was ready for prime time,
and the ports were not updated thoroughtly. Two ports so far, xmms and
sdl12, can't turn off esound support without Makefile modifications.
I'm sure there are others. BTW Max could you please commit the fix to
sdl12? I cc'd you on the pr. Thanks.

--
Alan Eldridge
Unix/C(++) IT Pro, 20 yrs, seeking new employment.