Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 1997 20:34:32 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        J.Klaus@sh.cvut.cz (Jaroslav Klaus)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: snd971117.tgz + speak_freely-6.1c

> Hello,
>
> I have GUSPnP and now I have sound driver snd971117 in 2.2.2:
>
> mpg123 works fine but speak_freely-6.1c produce a lot of noice.
> I recompiled it with new soundbyte.c which was in snd/misc
> directory but nothing changed. Could you help me, please?

Whoops, you are right, I forgot to mention this.
The guspnp support in my driver does not work well with ulaw. I am not
sure why -- I set the codec in mode2 instead of mode3 as in the
voxware/oss driver, that might be a reason of the malfunctioning
(although, if this is the case, it seems to be a bug in the codec of
the guspnp).

One possibility could be to do the 16bit<->ulaw translation in
speak-freely.

	cheers
	luigi