Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2000 19:09:03 +0530 (IST)
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Craig Harding <crh@outpost.co.nz>
Cc:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oh no. The Guns Debate (was Re: On "intelligent people" and "dangers to  BSD")

This seems to be more a religious debate than anything. So to
stick my oar in, by analogy with another religion: communism.
Here in some parts of India there are still people who believe
capitalism is evil and exploitative and therefore communism is
the only true way. The only argument I can make is to look at the
examples: America v/s Russia, Western Europe v/s Eastern Europe,
West v/s East Germany, North v/s South Korea, and see which did
better (and today many people will agree that India's leftist
leanings held it up for decades)... but it's impossible to
*prove* that communism doesn't work. So I don't argue after a
while.

It's the same thing here. Empirically, there's only one country
that's really famous for frequent school shootings and stuff like
that, and that's the country with the most liberal gun-control
laws. But that doesn't prove anything: it's impossible to prove
anything, so the debate will carry on endlessly. Even if America
changes its laws, and crime drops after that, the gun advocates
will either attribute it to something else, or deny that things
have improved at all.