Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 13:13:06 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        audit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A slight improvement of the rc system

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 09:26:24AM +0300, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 05:44:10PM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 12:43:34PM +0300, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> > > +script_name_sep=" "	# Change if your startup scripts' names contain spaces
> >
> > Uh... ever heard of "over engineering"?  I think we can assume scripts
> > don't have spaces in their names.  Anyone trying and has the ability to
> > change this knob knows enought to just not use spaces in a script's name.
> > This is UNIX.
>
> Yep, this is Unix, and Unix has no arbitrary restrictions on filenames.
> It does not have a 8.3 restriction, or a caps-only restriction; so why
> should a *part* of the system place a no-spaces restriction on filenames?
> Just about all the filesystems supported by FreeBSD allow filenames to
> contain spaces; it's only logical to give the user the ability to use
> them, if she so desires.
>
> It's not overcomplicating the code, either - the IFS shell variable
> is standardized and used, which means that the shell was written with
> this in mind; not allowing it is just that - not using the shell's
> capabilities the way they were meant to be used.

OK, so - does anyone have any other comments on the patch that
a) allows specifying a script name separator != ' ', and
b) runs the shutdown scripts in reverse order, so dependent services
   are shut down before the services they depend on?

G'luck,
Peter

--
"yields falsehood, when appended to its quotation." yields falsehood, when appended to its quotation.