Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 09:04:45 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        past@netmode.ntua.gr
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>, Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Subject:   Re: IrDA and FreeBSD

Panagiotis Astithas wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I am one of those who would like to see IrDA support in FreeBSD,
> and for that matter I am prepared to offer some work. I have
> downloaded the relative specifications and I have been looking
> at the Linux-IrDA stuff. I am about to embark on an effort to
> port the irda-utils-0.9.13 from linux, particularly the findchip
> thing (I have to know what adapter my laptop has :-)). Therefore
> I would like to ask if anybody has already done the job, and
> perhaps there was some other area I could contribute.

The findchip thing would be nice..

one way is to simply boot with -v and look at the PNP IDs that the BIOS
returns.
(what I did)

> I have read in the archives the discussion of about a month ago,
> that involved the netgraph approach. While I think it's a great
> idea, I would like to ask a perhaps naive question: can't we
> implement the lower protocol layer on top of ng_tty, essentially
> doing something like IrDA-over-serial? If that was possible I
> guess we don't have to implement any drivers at all, and we
> could concentrate on the higher layers of the IrDA protocol,
> essentially supporting every infrared dongle out there.

there's a few of us working on IrDA

yes we CAN use the ng_tty node for the low speed SIR
implimentation.(And we plan on doing so for  systems that
only have the tty interface. Most laptops these days have
a more comprehensive IrDA chip/module and require more specific
driving.
It does make it possible to do the IrDA protocols over
a serial link (or even just a serial Ir  Link)
This aproach can work with some devices.

We have similar functionality however aleady with the toshiba 'oboe'
chip module and probably will soon with the SMC IRCC (v1) chip
which allows us to talk with other devices..

The actual work is being done on:
irda@big.endian.de
with 3 people at this moment.
me,
Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net> (doing the oboe) and
Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de> (doing the IRCC).

Both chips are probing and the oboe is receiving data from a palm pilot.
I don't have any irda devices (just the laptop) but am netgraph
consultant :-)

We will write a netgraph enabled driver for each chip, until
we have a better idea of what the commone elements are at which point
we may extract out a common netgraph/irda-phys module to support
all the chips. That is assuming we find commonality.. Linux has
but our choice of selecting common code
may turn out to be different from theirs so we are not just copying.

> Cheers,
>
> -past

      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org