Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 2004 00:12:36 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@apropo.ro>
To:        gaf <moak@bredband.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /tmp full (newbie)

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:50:50 +0100
gaf <moak@bredband.net> wrote:

> Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
>=20
> >On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:04:53 +0100
> >gaf <moak@bredband.net> wrote:
> >
> > =20
> >
> >>I have read the handbook but have been following (It=B4s easier to have=
 a=20
> >>book in front of you when installing).  The Complete FreeBSD  4th=20
> >>edition when installing, where Greg Lehey recommends the partitioning =
=20
> >>that I have running right now so.....
> >>   =20
> >>

> >HE DOES NOT.
> >
> > >/                     4G
> > >swap          800M
> > >/home           35G
> >
> >NOP. No way.
> >
> >What he says and you forgot to do is something about sym-linking /tmp to
> >/var/tmp, if memory serves. If you want to extent this to have symlinks =
like this:
> >/tmp --> /home/tmp
> >/usr --> /home/usr
> >/var --> /home/var
> >you can. But there is no reason to do so.
> >In fact the default setup is just the other way:
> >/home --> /usr/home
> >Please refer to hier(7) to see layout of FreeBSD.
> >=20
> >Grog's book was for a few years the only one available and it's my perso=
nal
> >favorite. Nevertheless the FreeBSD handbook is the official reference.
> >
> >>as a newbie how should I know which one is the most accurate?  Now I=20
> >>know you ll say the handbook, so from now on I will follow the handbook.
> >
> >Read Grog's book, it makes a few times every cent you have spent on it.
> >
> >>Thanks for answering
> >>gaf
> > =20
> >
> I have the book in front of me.....sorry  but there are nothing said=20
> about symlinks.

Well, he must have change it in this version. Sorry.

> It says:
> " Creating the file systems
> With these considerations in mind, we=B4ll divide up the disk in the=20
> following manner:
> 4G for the root file system, which includes /usr and /var
> 512M swap space
> The rest of the disk for /home file system"

Personally I don't agree with this kind of setup for many reasons. But
think about how *you* will be using the disk space before following
anyone's suggestion. And think about how large is your disk vs. the disk
in the examples you get.

> Next is "Selecting distributions"
> I can=B4t figure out any other way to decipher this........do you???

For now just do what others suggested and symlink /tmp. eventually do
the same with /usr/ports/distfiles, if you have a lot of them. Mine is
like this (see my other post also):

itetcu@it> /home/itetcu [0:11:34] 0
 # du -hs /home/ftp/pub/FreeBSD/distfiles/
 12G    /home/ftp/pub/FreeBSD/distfiles/
itetcu@it> /home/itetcu [0:11:39] 0=20
# ll /usr/ports/distfiles
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  32 Jan  9 00:46 /usr/ports/distfiles -> /home/ft=
p/pub/FreeBSD/distfiles/

--=20
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD user