Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 16:46:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Viren R.Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: repeatable crash in -current (softupdates, NFS)

>>>>> "Greg" == Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com> writes:

 Greg> On Saturday, 27 November 1999 at 10:26:15 -0500, Viren R.Shah wrote:

 >> I'm running a -current system from Nov 26th (approx 4am EST).
 >>
 >> I can currently reliably crash the system by doing:
 >>
 >> ln -s /home/users/vshah/public_html/index.html /home/users/vshah/index.html
 >>

 >> The crash only works when I do it on a NFS mounted filesystem. I'm
 >> using NFSv2/UDP. The server is a 3.2-STABLE FreeBSD box, running
 >> softupdates on the exported filesystem. I just checked that local
 >> filesystem on the server, and it is a 100% full. Can this just be put
 >> down to the known "softupdates full filesystem bug"?

 Greg> Not based on the (non-existent) evidence you've supplied.  Where does
 Greg> it crash?

not having DDB compiled into the kernel I can't answer that. However
I'm willing to give any suggestions a go.

 >> [BTW: the server hasn't crashed, it's only the FreeBSD client that
 >> crashes]

 Greg> Do you mean the client process or the client operating system?

The client OS -- immediately after creating the symlink.

This is the panic I got (taken before Eivind's nfs_vnops.c commit
(rev 1.146) :

fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
fault virtual address = 0x4
fault code            = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer   = 0x8:0xc0163a05
stack pointer         = 0x10:0xc9d77e40
code segment          = base 0x0; limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                      = DPL0, pres 1, def32.1, gran 1
processor flags       = interrupt enabled, resume, 10PL = 0
current process       = 1230 (ln)
interrupt mask        = none
trap number           = 12
panic: page fault

I'm not sure that it helps any...

 Greg> Greg

Viren
--
Viren Shah                    | "You can't trust code that you did not totally
Research Associate, RST Inc.  | create yourself. (Especially code from