Date:      Thu, 7 Apr 2016 17:57:46 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AIO in 10.0-RELEASE

--X90Rsv5I2PNxC7E066v8JrF60bpLT4PwF
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

--tem552XPMcDOJDRlMwhePpP1RD71aJtOx

On 2016/04/07 16:25, Rick Miller wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> A user has been implementing AIO features in an application.  They asse=
rt
> that, despite aio(4) stating that it is enabled either statically (with=

> VFS_AIO in the kernel config) or dynamically (kldload), in their
> development environment there was no requirement for either of these
> methods of enabling AIO.  My google-foo is failing me when it comes to
> FreeBSD's AIO.
>=20
> This question defies logic, but is it possible that AIO works by defaul=
t in
> earlier versions of 10.0 and not in more recent version of 10.0 without=
 any
> local system changes?
>=20

You asked a pretty similar question last month, where one of the replies
pointed you to this in the UPDATING file:

20160301:
        The AIO subsystem is now a standard part of the kernel.  The
        VFS_AIO kernel option and aio.ko kernel module have been removed.=

        Due to stability concerns, asynchronous I/O requests are only
        permitted on sockets and raw disks by default.  To enable
        asynchronous I/O requests on all file types, set the
        vfs.aio.enable_unsafe sysctl to a non-zero value.

In fact, that change was *after* 10.3 was branched, so 10.3-RELEASE
should behave the same as 10.2 and earlier as far as AIO is concerned.

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/releng/10.3/UPDATING?revision=3D297262&vi=
ew=3Dmarkup

As far as I can tell from the manual, calls to aio_read(2) and similar
functions should generate an ENOSYS error code, unless your system
kernel has the aio module ceither compiled in or loaded.  Which runs
counter to your user's experience.

I suggest asking on freebsd-hackers@... as you're more likely to come to
the attention of the responsible developers there.

	Cheers,

	Matthew