Date:      Tue, 14 Feb 2012 10:07:58 -0300
From:      Ramiro Caso <ramirocaso08@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   9.0-RELEASE: Strange freezing and kernel panics on laptop

Hi,

I'm in need of advice. I've recently installed FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE on my
laptop (a Dell Inspiron 1318) with a good deal of success. However, I've
been experiencing a few hiccups, to say the least. The kernel is the
GENERIC for the amd64 architecture that comes with the installation
images (no funny compilation issues on my part):

   $ uname -a
   FreeBSD apeiron 9.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE #0: Tue Jan  3
07:46:30 UTC 2012
   root@farrell.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Since I've installed it, the system has been freezing for apparently no
reason and, once in a while, rebooting upon a kernel panic. The kernel
panics come in two varieties:

   Fatal Trap 9: general protection fault while in kernel mode
   Fatal Trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode

I have the dump files. [Concerning the Fatal Trap 12: I ran memtest86+
and everything turned out alright on the memory side.]

As for the recurrent freezing, it seems to me (but this is a hunch) that
it might be related to wireless card issues (since, for what I can
recall, it happens some time after I start having conection issues).
Also, everytime I do a "netif restart", the system just freezes after
displaying two lines:

   bwn0: need multicast update callback
   TODO: need swap

[In order not to raise side issues, I have a fully working LP PHY
Broadcom 4312 (except for these issues), and I have hw.bwn.usedma=0 in
loader.conf---but the freezing thing happens whether it is set to 1 or
0.] And that's about it. In particular, nothing shows in
/var/log/messages. As for the panics, I'm clueless.

Maybe the following can help (or not!!). In /var/log/messages, the
following two lines keep showing:

   acpi0: reservation of 0, 9f000 (3) failed
   acpi0: reservation of 100000, 7f56d800 (3) failed

Needless to say, this won't discourage me from using FreeBSD on my
laptop, but it isn't very funny to have these kind of problems while
doing some work. Any help would be appreciated, if nothing else, to
understand what's happening.

Thanks!