Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:18:16 -0700
From:      "CS Reddy" <creddy@qwest.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Install hangs up

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C0C92F.652010A0

Hello
        I am new to the BSD world. I have a compaq pc (i686, 256MB of =
RAM) which has Windows 2000 and RedHat Linux 7.0 installed on two =
different hard disks (Disk 1 (20GB) - Win2K and Disk 2 (30 GB) - RHL). I =
use Win 2K's NT boot loader to boot RH Linux and never had any problems. =
I wanted to install FreeBSD on my first hard disk. I made room for it (5 =
GB) on my first disk and created an unformatted partition using =
Partition Magic. This partiton is below the 1024 Cylinders limit. I =
tried two different ways to install with out any luck so far:
1) I bought the Complete FreeBSD book and got 4 CD-ROMs that have =
FreeBSD 3.1 on them. I was able to boot from my CD-ROM and was able to =
kick off the install process. I had hardware conflicts (13 to be =
precise). I resolved all them by deleting ones that do not exist on my =
computer. It correctly identifies my Intel Ethernet PRO/100 Network =
Adapter (I can see it in the hardware list) but unfortunately does not =
recognize my CD-ROM (Memorex, 48X, ATAPI). I tried to install via ftp as =
I have high speed internet connection (DSL Modem, DHCP enabled). I could =
not enable DHCP in the Install Options since that does not exist as an =
option.  I gave all the parameters including the IP Adress of my machine =
(I got it by running ifconfig in RHL just before I rebooted my machine). =
When I click on OK, my machine freezes and I had to hard boot! I tried =
all available North American ftp sites with no luck.
2) I made two installation floppies of 4.2 kernel (kern.flp, =
mfsroot.flp) following the instruction as given on the FreeBSD website. =
I formatted both of my floppies before I wrote the images on them in =
Win2K. I was able to boot from kern and then was also able to use =
mfsroot. This time I get 7 conflicts all from hardware that is not at =
all installed on my machine. So, I deleted them. But this time, I did =
not see my Network Adapter in the hardware list! When I save the results =
from the userconfig, I see hardware probe results scrolling by for about =
20 or 30 sec very quickly. I tried to use Scroll Lock with no avail. =
Then I get a big blue screen which says something like "Probing your =
devices. This may a take a while...." and it freezes again!. I waited =
for more than 1 hour several times (trying different hardware options, =
eventhough I could not see any errors while the probe went on). I even =
tried creating the floppies in Linux but with no good results.

Can some one point me in the right direction? Any help will be =
appreciated.

Thanks

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C0C92F.652010A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I =
am&nbsp;new=20
to the BSD world. I have a compaq pc (i686, 256MB of RAM) which has =
Windows 2000=20
and RedHat Linux 7.0 installed on two different hard disks (Disk 1 =
(20GB)&nbsp;-=20
Win2K and Disk 2 (30 GB)&nbsp;- RHL). I use Win 2K's&nbsp;NT boot loader =
to boot=20
RH Linux and never had any problems. I wanted to install FreeBSD on my =
first=20
hard disk. I made room for it (5 GB) on my first disk and created an =
unformatted=20
partition using Partition Magic. This partiton is below the 1024 =
Cylinders=20
limit. I tried two different ways to install with out any luck so=20
far:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1) I bought the Complete FreeBSD book =
and got 4=20
CD-ROMs that have FreeBSD 3.1 on them. I was able to boot from my CD-ROM =
and was=20
able to kick off the install process. I had hardware conflicts (13 to be =

precise). I resolved all them by deleting ones that do not exist on my =
computer.=20
It correctly identifies my Intel Ethernet PRO/100 Network Adapter (I can =
see it=20
in the hardware list) but unfortunately does not recognize my CD-ROM =
(Memorex,=20
48X, ATAPI). I tried to install via ftp as I have high speed internet =
connection=20
(DSL Modem, DHCP enabled). I could not enable&nbsp;DHCP in the Install =
Options=20
since&nbsp;that&nbsp;does not exist as an option.&nbsp;&nbsp;I gave all =
the=20
parameters including the&nbsp;IP Adress of my machine (I got it by =
running=20
ifconfig in RHL just before I rebooted my machine). When I click on OK, =
my=20
machine freezes and I had to hard boot! I tried all available North =
American ftp=20
sites with no luck.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2) I made two installation floppies of =
4.2 kernel=20
(kern.flp, mfsroot.flp) following the instruction as given on the =
FreeBSD=20
website. I formatted both of my floppies before I wrote the images on =
them in=20
Win2K. I was able to boot from kern and then was also able to use =
mfsroot. This=20
time I get 7 conflicts all from hardware that is not at all installed on =
my=20
machine. So, I deleted them. But this time, I did not see my Network =
Adapter in=20
the hardware list! When I save the results from the userconfig, I see =
hardware=20
probe results scrolling by for about 20 or 30 sec very quickly. I tried =
to use=20
Scroll Lock with no avail. Then I get a big blue screen which says =
something=20
like "Probing your devices. This may a take a while...." and it freezes =
again!.=20
I waited for more than 1 hour several times (trying different hardware =
options,=20
eventhough I could not see any errors while the probe went on). I even =
tried=20
creating the floppies in Linux but with no good results.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Can some one point me in the right =
direction? Any=20
help will be appreciated.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C0C92F.652010A0--