Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2000 13:37:43 -0400
From:      Mark Schneider <mschneider@mkbmarketing.com>
To:        ache@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: png-1.0.8_1

I am hosting with a company that has put version 3.4 of freebsd on our
system because it is the version of freebsd they support.  I am trying
to install the png library, it compiles wonderfully, but every time I
try intstall it I get

make install
===>  Installing for
===>   is already installed - perhaps an older version?
      If so, you may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install
      this port again by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
      If you really wish to overwrite the old port of
      without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
      in your environment or the "make install" command line.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

I have tried make reinstall, and the FORCE_PKG_REGISTER.  I really don't
have the option of upgrading to freebsd 4.X at the current time as they
want to charge us $120 an hour to do it and they have not had much
experience doing this...  Is there some way I can install the compiled
libraries by hand?  I do have root access.