Date:      Tue, 26 Apr 2005 09:41:18 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Gheorghe Ardelean <ardelean@ww.uni-erlangen.de>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with 5.3R on Ultra1 with Qlogic SBUS Controller

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Doug White wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Gheorghe Ardelean wrote:

> > > I'm assuming  you're booting off serial console here... does booting off
> > > the framebuffer work any better?
> >
> > It's better up to a point. So it boots up to the point where the login
> > prompt should appear. After the information about the todays date and
> > time an error message appears telling me that:
> >
> > /dev/screen no such file or directory
> >
> > Any idea why?
>
> You need to run mergemaster. that should replace the lines in there and
> enable gettys on your serial ports.

Well, this was a CD install from 5.3-RELEASE (all the files and lines
should be there). I was using the framebuffer, as you suggested, so I don't
think some tty lines in /etc/ttys have an influence. My /etc/ttys has
lines for uart(4), zs(4) and sab(4) so it should also work on serial
console, but it does not. It just stops after detecting the first serial
port.

With 5.4-RC2 is even worse because it's frozen just after loading the
kernel (see my other posting). Other users have the same behavior with
other SUN hardware (ultra 2, ultra 30).

Regards,

Johny.