Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 1995 14:22:55 +0100 (MEZ)
From:      me@dude.pcs.dec.com ( Michael Elbel )
To:        ugen@netvision.net.il (Ugen J.S.Antsilevich)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: backspace now broken (proposal)

> >But having to tell new
> >FreeBSD users that they have to put a 'stty erase ^h' in .login or
> >.profile of *each and every* user of their system is just plain
> >unnecessary complication of affairs.
> Hmm..this can be done by default in default /etc/.cshrc and friends,then
> those who hate ^H to be erase by default can be happy,and ^H will work...
> BTW that's the first thing i even do on my systems after installation..
> Not only FreeBSD but even SunOS has this problemm...

Yes, it can be done, but that would be plain bogus (IMO). We'd have
to put this in as default, e.g. into /etc/profile and /etc/csh.login.
This is a *default*. Why kludge it in two places if it can be fixed in
one.  *And* we'd have to deal with the complaints when people open
xterms without using the -ls option, *and* it wouldn't work in single user
mode.

Michael
--
Michael Elbel, Digital-PCS GmbH, Muenchen, Germany - me@FreeBSD.org