Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2001 16:51:57 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Andy Akins <andyakins@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Startup messages question

On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 05:59:51PM -0500, Andy Akins wrote:
> I'll start this out by syaing that I am a freebsd newbie.
>
> I'm running the 4.2 FreeBSD that I purchased in the FreeBSD Toolkit. I have cvsup'ed my source tree following the STABLE branch, and rebuilt my kernel with parameters appropriate to my hardware. Everything runs fine.
>
> Ever since I rebuilt and installed my custom kernal, I get some config> errors at the beginning talking about missing devices. Obviously these are devices that GENERIC had that my new one does not - how do I get the boot process to stop loading these non-existant drivers?

It's not trying to load them, it's trying to disable them. You have a
old kernel.conf laying around in /boot (see below). The best thing to
do is edit /boot/loader.conf so it does not try to load it.

> Also - the boot process spends a lot of time timing out on the ata master/slaves - because I have nothing hooked up to then (except one dvd on ata0 master.).

*shrug* I reboot once every few months. A few seconds has never
bothered me enough to try to tune the boot speed. No ideas. Those
errors you get though... they don't look right.

[snip]

> Preloaded userconfig_script "/boot/kernel.conf" at 0xc034e09c.

Says right there where the kernel.conf is.