Date:      Tue, 21 Feb 1995 12:53:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        loren@beauty.mcl.ucsb.edu (Loren Koss)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: I am having a problem!

> Okay, heres my setup:
> ZEOS Pentium 90 w/ seagate 1 gig hard drive (Geometry = 2099 x 64 x 63).
                             ^^^^^                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Something is seriously wrong here, either you have a 4.3G drive or your
cylinder numbers are off:
(2099 * 64 * 53 * 512) = 4333142016

> If I just let it try to install after my dos partition (which is 780
> megs), it crashes.  This used to happen in 1.1.5.1, but was able to get
> it to install by changing the geometry to 523 x 16 x 512.  I tried this
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Again, something is not right, this would be:
(523 * 16 * 512 * 512) = 2193620992 or 2.2Gbytes.

> in version 2, but it says that it can't handle sectors over 255!  Okay,
> after some fiddling around I find another combonation that works.
> However, now DOS won't boot.  Its there, but the boot manager can't boot
> it.  Its really beginning to bother me since 1.1.5.1 works.

I think your problem is that your geometry calculations are all wrong :-(.

What controller are you using?  And how many blocks are on your drive?
Do you have extended translation enabled on your controller?

Double, and triple check your drive geometry, every thing I see here tells
me you have gone wrong some place in your calculations :-(.

> Also, XFree86 3.1 doesn't seem to work well with my setup.  I have a
> Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM w/ 2 megs.  Can you send me a working config
> file.

Sorry.. don't know anything about diamond cards.

> Would I be doing myself harm if I just went back to the working version
> of 1.1.5.1?  Is there that much difference?

Probably not.. depends if you need any of the new 2.0 functionality or not.