Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 16:23:05 -0800
From:      berg@platsol.com (Michael Bergknoff)
To:        joe.shevland@horizonti.com
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security exception

>> I was wrong about it running on Solaris. It gets an exception there also.
>> I have seen it work okay on Windows NT using the appletviewer from
>> Symantec Visual Cafe. I have also seen it work okay loaded from
>> Netscape (from a local file) using Suns activator product, also on NT.

Actually I was right the first time, it does run on Solaris appletviewer.
A different user was failing on Solaris with the same exception, but
that turned out to be a problem with CLASSPATH.

>You're right; there is a parameter in the appletviewer's configuration
>that can negate the sandbox security model, allowing network connections
>to others machines to be made. I'd say more, but I've never used it...

Anyone have more info. on appletviewer configuration?

>Cafe probably also disables this setting for development (although if you
>didn't turn it off, that's odd. It should default to using the security
>model). I noticed your use of 'non-gui applet' before... anything that
>is run by the command-line 'java' is an application and not subject
>to security barriers i.e. are you sure you're only trying applets?
>(public TestClass extends java.applet.Applet?)

I have a non-gui (no java.awt or java.applet) version of my application
that does most of the same functions run from the "java" command line.

Actually, there isn't much difference between an application and an
(local) applet. It's relatively easy to add a main() method to an applet (class
that extends java.applet.Applet), wrap it in a java.awt.Frame and run
it from the "java" command.

Thanks,
Mike