Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 2006 00:12:05 -0800
From:      Jo Rhett <jrhett@svcolo.com>
To:        Cesar <listas@itm.net.br>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SiI 3114 SATA150 controller

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 03:00:29PM -0300, Cesar wrote:
>   FreeBSD works fine with it, i just cant do RAID using the Bios because
> FreeBSD does not recognizes it.
>   Does any one have a fix to FreeBSD recognize SiI 3114 metadata?

Well known limitation.  Search around, you'll find this.

>   I dont know if the system have the same performance using this
> PseudoRAID.

It's exactly the same.  It's just that the ata driver doesn't know how to
read the RAID format of your BIOS.  It still works the same.

You do realize that it's up to the driver to actually do the RAID right?
Either BIOS or atacontrol RAID is still "pseudoRAID".  This isn't hardware
RAID, this is cheap software raid implemented in hardware.

Search around, this topic has been convered extensively.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek