Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 17:16:55 -0400 (EDT)
To:        abc@shell.wetworks.org, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vi? lynx? please!

My mentor, who is one of those bus-level archetecture kernel hacking
big-endian little-endian guys like Mr. Greenman et all, started me
out on vi when I was just starting out. He calls those editors which
require X and - or a mouse FCW interfaces ( Clickety Widgety - the
'F' is usually silent. ) Now, the biggest problem I have with vi
is the annoying habit I've picked up sprinkling my $MS word docs
with ":q!" . It's interesting to me also that every useful book
I've ever read on any pointy-mashy based operating system starts out
early by discouraging the use of pointy-mashy development environments
in favor of Real Development Environments that use fast, text-mode
editors and command line interfaces. Even 'Macinsquash' books seem
to reccomend MPW over pointy-mashy thingys. If you ever intend to
do serious work, learn vi, you'll thank yourself later.

-GB