Date:      Sat, 06 Mar 1999 17:55:14 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD crashed

3.1-RELEASE with several ports installed. One of which was windowmaker.
I did a wmaker.inst as user roelof to set the files up. After which
I tried startx to see what would happen. Nothing much. Something about
a server not being found.

[Being dimwitted even 'execve failed for /usr/X11R6/bin/X (errno 2)'
 did not light any lamps, thus let us continue the tale]

As I remember it I did install X on this machine. But, since I've
also installed it on another I might be mistaken. After having tried
it a few times I decided to switch back to twm or fvwm2. But I couldn't
find what wmaker.inst had done. There was no .xinitrc in ~ nor listed
the default xinitrc wmaker. It still called twm.

By this time I was getting unsure about whether or not I had installed
X. So as root I gave /stand/sysinstall to be greeted with all kinds
of things, including 'syncing disks: 11 11 11 11 ...'. Finally came
PID was # plus /stand/sysinstall.

When it came up again fsck gave:

 UNREF FILE I=7503 OWNER=root MODE=20640
 SIZE=0 MTIME=Mar 6 02:43 1999 (CLEARED)

Once booted I diligently tried to make it crash again. To no avail.
Of course this time it hit me that execve probably meant execve()
and just what that little call did. Ah well, I'm used to it.

The Q's are. Is this sort of thing usual? Could it be somehow related
to the current flurry of power outages and their possible effect on
my filesystems? Is the above mentioned fsck message as innocent as
I deem it to be? And last but not least, is there a more or less
reasonable explanation for this crash?

Roelof

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.