Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 05:59:33 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using MD5 insted of DES for passwd ecnryption

> According to Peter Wemm:
> > However, the thought of having ld.so on / and a dynamic sh and init seems
> > to make some people break out into a cold sweat...
>
> We could have ld.So on / and still have a static sh/init to boot with. One
> argument against dynamic bin (it is probably less an issue for /sbin) is
> that running multiple copies of binaries from /bin will be way slower and
> eat more memory

"Way slower" is a little subjective, but "more memory"?  Remember that
in a paged virtual memory system only referenced pages are brought in,
so as long as the code path is the same through a given binary, its
physical memory footprint isn't going to change drastically.

As soon as you have more than one *different* binary running out of
/bin, you win of course, as there's only *one* copy (at most) of the
common shared libraries being backed by physical memory.

It would be useful, however, to quantify "way slower", so that we can
make personally objective decisions about that...