Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 20:25:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Mahoney <dmahoney@pe.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Running shutdown from a cron job

I've got a machine tht has been a little flaky
lately - it tends to lock up unexpectedly anywhere
from once to several times a day.  Im going to
upgrade the OS in a couple of weeks (it's
currently running 3.1), but until I can get to the
machine (it's 500 miles away from me) I'm working
on a script that will detect when the machine
has slipped off to never-never land and do a
clean reboot.

Unfortunately, when I tried adding a line like
   0 0 * * * /sbin/shutdown -r now
to root's crontab, the shutdown never happens.
I assume I'm overlooking something pretty
basic here.  Is there some valid reason why
I can't run shutdown or reboot from a cron job?